Unite retired members
Triple lock campaign victory
The state pension triple lock will be reinstated for 2023, the government announced in its Autumn Statement on 17 November 2022.
Unite’s petition to defend the triple lock gathered over 20,000 signatures and demonstrated how strongly workers feel about the issue.
This is therefore an important victory which will mean that the state pension is protected against soaring inflation during the current cost of living crisis.
This is an important step forward in our fight to guarantee a decent retirement for all workers, but that fight must continue. The full package of measures announced in the Autumn Statement amounts to a new austerity budget.
Unite retired members: What we do
Unite retired members campaign on any issue affecting retired workers, through Unite and also through the National Pensioners’ Convention, the Scottish Pensioners’ Forum and the TUC Pensions Committee. We don’t just campaign on retired members’ issues, however, we support all workers in struggle and campaign on issues such as:
- Dignity in retirement – an end to pensioner poverty, safe, accessible public transport, properly funded social care and health services, universal benefits such as the free bus pass, TV licence for the over 75s, winter fuel allowance and NHS prescriptions.
- Better communities – better care in the community, securing decent public services, ending poverty, stronger social cohesion and safe, secure and affordable homes for all
- Decent work for all – ending zero-hours contracts, insecurity, low pay and few career opportunities
What does Unite Retired Members Plus membership get me?
For just 55p a week your Unite Retired Members Plus membership gets you:
- Access to dedicated solicitors with experience in representing people in personal injury claims, serious injury claims, road traffic accident claims, medical negligence claims and industrial disease claims
- Access to Unite Legal Services for support with conveyancing, will writing, probate and power of attorney
- Free legal helpline for members for up to half an hour of free advice on non-work related matters
- Access to funeral benefits
- A discount at The View Hotel in Eastbourne
- And more...
Coming up to retirement? Stay involved in Unite
Already a member? Simply call your local Unite office and they will adjust your membership and direct debit. Retired membership is just 55p a week.
Only Retired Member Plus members will be able to play a full part in the Unite Retired Members’ section.
You will not be able to play a full part in the constitutional structures of Unite unless you join Retired Member Plus.