Lesbian Gay Bisexual Trans +
LGBT+ equality in the workplace continues to be hard fought for. Join Unite and Unite Equalities today and help us win equality in your workplace. Many LGBT+ workers face harassment and discrimination based on their sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
Unite Equalities is raising awareness and campaigning for LGBT+ equality, and encouraging LGBT+ workers to join Unite and become active in the union.
Celebrating LGBT+ history month
LGBT+ History Month – February
“It’s time to make conversion therapy history”
2022 sees the 50th anniversary of the very first Pride March in the UK in 1972. A popular slogan of the early Gay Rights Movement of the time was “the personal is political”, it doesn’t get more personal than trying to force someone to change who they are through so-called conversion therapy. LGBT+ conversion therapy has no scientific or therapeutic support whatsoever. It is about suppressing a person’s sexuality or gender identity. All too often it leads to mental and emotional damage. It is about attempting to exorcise an integral part of who a person is. It doesn’t work and is inherently abusive. It’s time to make conversation therapy history – It’s time for the government to ban LGBT+ Conversion Therapy NOW.
Happy International Day against Homophobia, Biphobia, Intersex-phobia and Transphobia #IDAHoBIT - 17 May
Today, Wednesday 17th May, is the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Trans+phobia, IDAHOBIT. The day is marked to draw attention to discriminative behaviours and violence towards lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans+ people.
UNITE campaigns especially around LGBT+ Hate Crime, International Persecution, and Conversion Therapy.
Some current facts are listed below:
- One in five LGBT+ people (21%) have experienced a hate crime or incident due to sexual orientation or gender identity in the last 12 months
- Two in five trans+ people (42%) have experienced a hate crime or incident because of their gender identity in the last 12 months
- 70 countries still criminalise same sex relationships (including 32 commonwealth countries many relying on pre-colonial British legislation)
- 26 countries have criminalised trans+ people and subjected them to punishment
- Trans+ people are disproportionately at risk of violence across the globe
- Trans+phobic hate crime has quadrupled in the last five years
Unite is proud to stand in solidarity with all LGBT+ people across the globe.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Show your support and share the following on social media.