6000 job losses at 'ghost town' Gatwick airport demonstrates devastation in UK aviation
- Wednesday 9 September 2020
Huge job losses
Pay and conditions under attack
Joint union demands
Together with the TUC and all aviation unions, Unite is calling for the government to take on the economic and fiscal measures needed to support the sector, including:
• The extension of, and modifications to, the coronavirus job retention scheme to protect employment in the aviation sector
• Suspension of air passenger duty
• Public service obligation routes to ensure regional connectivity
• Business rate relief for airports (as in Scotland and Northern Ireland)
• Extending the period of repayment of loans to aviation companies beyond the current two year maximum.
Notes to editors:
For media enquiries ONLY please contact Unite senior communications officer Barckley Sumner on 07802 329235 or 0203 371 2067.
Email: [email protected]
Unite is Britain and Ireland’s largest union with members working across all sectors of the economy. The general secretary is Len McCluskey.