Every year more people are killed at work than in wars. Most don't die of mystery ailments, or in tragic "accidents". They die because an employer decided their safety just wasn't that important a priority.
Useful information & links
DAY OF ACTION TO PROTECT HEALTH AND SAFETY
Unite is calling for;
- No reduction in the legal protection for workers on health and safety
- Those who create risk must be held accountable
- No freedom from inspections and an increase in inspector number
- Recognition and support for the role that union safety representatives play
- More action to prevent occupational diseases
Hartlepool Trades Council have produced a hard-hitting and very effective video to commemorate Workers Memorial Day. Watch the video on YouTube.
Organise an event
Regions and branches should think about marking the 28th April in some way. Supporting union organisation and safer workplaces is the best way to fight for the living. If you did nothing in previous years, make sure you are organised for WMD and if you are involved in organising an event or hear about one that is not listed below or on the TUC WMD listings page
, please let us know
Please send any information on any events that you are running or involved with in your region and any photos of the events that you hold or take part in to the Unite Health & Safety team and
also HealthandSafety@tuc.org.uk so we can promote your event.