CONTACT UNITE MEMBER LOGIN

Unite welcomes Chemical Industry Association’s remain ...

Unite welcomes Chemical Industry Association’s remain position on EU referendum

19 April 2016

Britain’s largest union, Unite has welcomed the Chemical Industry Association’s recent statement showing overwhelming backing to remain in the European Union. 

Unite which represents thousands of members in the chemical industry and across the whole of manufacturing in the UK welcomed the findings showing that none of the trade body’s members believed leaving the EU would be in the best interests of their business.

The Chemical Industry Association statement said its survey: “...showed that 62 per cent of companies voted to remain, with the remaining 38 per cent declaring that their company had decided not to take a position. No business in the survey of CIA’s 93 member companies - representing approximately 70 per cent of total UK chemical and pharmaceutical sales - said that leaving the EU would be in the best interests of their business.”

CIA chief executive Steve Elliott said: “The feedback from our survey underline[s] the criticality of the European Union marketplace for UK chemical and pharmaceutical jobs, investment and growth. Half a million people across the country depend on our sector for employment and we are also UK manufacturing’s largest net export earner – impressive credentials that would be brought into immediate question if we withdrew from the European Union”

Responding to the statement Unite national officer for the chemicals and pharmaceutical sector, Tony Devlin, said: “Unite welcomes the results of the survey of companies in the chemicals sector and the fact that the overwhelming majority support a vote to remain in the EU and none expressed support for leaving. 

“Not only would a Brexit put tens of thousands of jobs at risk due to the impact on future investment decisions and possible trade barriers, but massively important workers’ rights that come from the EU would also be thrown away. 

“UK workers derive significant benefits from European social and employment legislation which would immediately be lost if we voted to leave the EU. These include rights many of us take for granted, such as four weeks paid leave at average pay, parental leave, part time and temporary/agency worker protections, regulation of working hours, as well as anti-discrimination legislation and many others.

“Unite is urging its members to vote to remain on 23 June and we urge other companies and trade organisations to make their position in this vital debate clear, just as the Chemical Industry Association has done.”

ENDS