Jeremy Corbyn MP, Leo Gerrard, leader of powerful US steelworkers' union, Richard Leonard MSP confirmed as speakers
Aviemore conference centre
28 & 29 October, 2017
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn will address the conference of Scotland's biggest union as delegates debate motions on the big issues facing Scotland's working people, from the rising cost of living to the deterioration of public services caused by years of senseless austerity.
Also debated will be calls for the public ownership of the country's ferry and rail networks, as well as action to arrest the 30 year decline in Scotland's manufacturing base.
Jobs minister Keith Brown will address the conference on the Scottish government's economic and fairer work priorities followed by a question and answer session with delegates.
Campaigns to `Save our Scotch', which calls for Scottish whisky to be bottled in Scotland, and to ensure that the new rental pressure zone powers are used to assist young and low paid workers, will be launched.
There will also be a debate on the need to move to home rule' to give Scotland wider powers over areas such as national defence and interest rates. Scotland's democracy would be reinvigorated by extending votes at 16 to all elections, the conference will hear.
Speaking ahead of the conference, Unite's Scottish secretary Pat Rafferty said: "Scotland's working people are facing massive challenges. Now more than ever they need strong trade unions like Unite to take on austerity and stand up to employers who ride roughshod over workers' rights. I am proud to say that this union is determined to drive out inequality, spread prosperity fairly and play our part in making Scotland a country fit for the future."
Saturday 28 October
- 10:10 hours Pat Rafferty, Unite's Scottish secretary
- 12:10 hours Jeremy Corbyn MP and leader of the Labour party
- 13:30 hours Keith Brown MSP and cabinet secretary for jobs, the economy and fair work
- 15:00 hours Leo Gerrard, leader of the US union the United Steelworkers
Sunday 29 October
- 09:30 hours Len McCluskey, general secretary, Unite
- 11:00 hours Richard Leonard MSP and candidate for leader of the Scottish Labour party.
- Conference closes at 15:30 hours on 29 October.
Members of the media interested in attending are asked to email taylor.humphris@unitetheunion to confirm attendance. For further information please call Bob Wylie on 07711 751570 or Pauline Doyle on 07976 832861.
- Unite is Britain and Ireland’s largest trade union with over 1.4 million members working across all sectors of the economy. The general secretary is Len McCluskey.