Before an ECS card can be issued, the applicant must demonstrate they have the required level of health & safety awareness, either by successfully completing an ECS health & safety assessment or by providing evidence of a valid exemption.
Book an ECS assessment with Unite
Applicants who are able to show they hold certain valid and current certificates are exempt from taking the ECS Health and Safety Assessment.
Assessments and qualifications which allow a five year exemption
• Apprentices and Adult Trainees who have been awarded an NVQ
Level 3 Diploma in Installing Electrotechnical Systems and
Equipment (Buildings, Structures & Environment) (awarded in England).
• Apprentices, Adult Trainees and Crediting Electrotechnical Competence (CEC) Scheme candidates who
have been awarded an SQA/SJIB SVQ Level 3 in Electrotechnical Services (Electrical Installation-Building
and Structures) and SQA/SJIB SVQ Level 3 in Electrical Installation (awarded in Scotland).
• British Safety Council Level 3 Certificate in Occupational Safety & Health.
• British Safety Council International Certificate in Occupational Safety & Health.
• British Safety Council Level 6 Diploma in Occupational Safety & Health.
• CITB Site Management Safety Training Scheme (SMSTS).
• City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate and Level 5 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety.
• EEF Woodland Grange in collaboration with Oxford Brooks University. MSc/PgDip/PgCert in Health,
Safety and Environmental Management.
• EEF Woodland Post Graduate Diploma in Health & Safety Management (accepted until 2017).
• Glasgow Caledonian Diploma in HS Management (Scotland only).
• MSc in Health, Safety & Environmental Management.
• NEBOSH Level 3 International Certificate in Occupational Safety & Health.
• NEBOSH Level 3 Certificate in Construction Safety & Health.
• NEBOSH Level 3 National Certificate in Occupational Safety & Health.
• NEBOSH International Certificate in Construction.
• NEBOSH International Diploma in Safety & Health.
• NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Safety & Health, Units A, B, C & D.
• Post Graduate Certificate in Health, Safety & Environment Management.
• TUC Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety
Assessments and qualifications which allow a three year exemption
• CCNSG Safety Passport - National Course.
• CCNSG Safety Passport - Renewal Course.
• CCNSG Safety Passport - Supervising Safety Course.
• ECITB International Health and Safety Passport.
Assessments and qualifications which allow a two year exemption
• CITB Site Supervisor Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS).
• ECA Health and Safety Awareness.
• ECA Health and Safety for Site Managers.
• ECA Health and Safety for Contract Managers.
• ECA Health and Safety for Owners and Managers.
• Post Graduate Diploma in Health & Safety.
• Safety Pass Alliance (SPA) Passport - Core.
• Safety Pass Alliance (SPA) Passport - Sector Course (Building Maintenance,
Construction, Renewable Energy and Supervision)
Any IOSH accredited course listed below from an IOSH or approved accredited provider. (Note: Providers must obtain written accreditation from the JIB or the SJIB before the course will be deemed to be suitable.)
• IOSH Working Safely Together.
• IOSH Working Safely.
• IOSH Managing Safely.
• IOSH Managing Safely in Construction.
• IOSH Safety Passport.
• IOSH Supervising Safely.
Apprentices are exempt from the need to sit the assessment and can obtain a card on application. If you have any questions regarding this information, you are advised to contact the JIB
This list will be reviewed and updated regularly. Any queries over other nationally recognised qualifications should be addressed to the JIB
Book an assessment with Unite & get a substantial discount as a union member.
Read the guidance for scheme and training providers on Criteria for Approval of an Exemption
from the ECS health and safety assessment.