This is Eric Pickles….
He is the man behind the biggest and most damaging cuts to council budgets ever. In five years we will have suffered a staggering 43 per cent real terms cut in council funding – entire services are being wiped out.
Submit a question to Pickles via Twitter
We think it’s time to put pressure on Pickles, and he’s given us a good opportunity to do it.
On Monday 9 December, the Communities and Local Government Committee will hold an oral evidence session with Eric Pickles, the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government. MPs on the committee want to hear what questions you would put to Mr Pickles.
Don’t hold back, whether you work in local government or are a service user, now’s the time to have your say:
Submit your question via Twitter, by adding the hashtag #AskPickles to your tweet, from 11am on Thursday 28 November and before 11pm on Wednesday 4 December. Use personal stories of how the cuts are hurting you.
Here are a few sample questions to help you out:
1. Eric what will you do for 82 year old Joan Parker? Evicted from hospital with no council sheltered home to go to? #AskPickles
2. Why are many northern, urban areas suffering much bigger cuts – more than 5x per head then those in the south? #AskPickles
3. Eric what will you do for Oxfordshire’s children who face losing 38 of their 44 children’s centres? #AskPickles
4. Eric how far is too far? Is it our elderly left without proper care? Or libraries, youth clubs, & sure start centres shut? #AskPickles
5. Eric what will our councils look like in 2015? After a 43% real terms funding cut? #AskPickles
6. Eric why do half a million local government workers earn less than the living wage? #AskPickles