Unite is calling for a £1 an hour pay rise to end the hardship of years of below inflation pay increases and a three year pay freeze which has cost local government workers around £4,000 since 2010.
18 December 2013 - Find a Christmas carol singing EVENTS near you
Download Unite's festive fair pay posters
Join our fair pay fight for local government workers
1. Speak to your workplace rep to find out more about the campaign. Unite's first action - send a postcard to your local councillors
2. Your pay, your say - Join a Unite Christmas carol singing event near you
3. Email Sir Merrick Cockell, the chairman of the LGA - the text is written you just need to click submit
4. Campaigning to win - find out how to plan and win workplace campaigns. Read more here
5. Share the facts - speak to your colleagues. Low pay is holding back a real recovery for the millions of workers that keep our communities running: Read Unite's fair pay brief
7. Join Unite - fighting for fair pay in local government
Why you deserve a pay rise
Over 1 million local government workers who did nothing to cause the economic crisis are paying a very heavy price for this government’s colossal cuts to council funding.
Not only have local government workers suffered an 18 per cent real terms cut in pay, they are also facing cuts to basic allowances like overtime, car mileage and weekend enhancements. Increased job insecurity and mass job losses are only adding to the pain.
“I can barely afford to live. I am now seeking part time work to keep up with my rent. I feel hugely undervalued.”
“My partner and I would like to start a family, but we’re struggling to make ends meet as it is, even though we both work full time."